Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Attachment and the Need For Control-My Experience

The other day, I listened to  an episode of a podcast by Mind Body Musings. The episode covered a topic which I had been thinking about for awhile, connection verses attachment. It was so inspiring and impacted me in a profound way. Now, I am evaluating whether I am connected or attached to certain things.

I bring up the fact that I listened to this episode on the podcast because I've had certain experiences where I needed to learn what I can and cannot control. Yesterday and this morning felt very chaotic-like I couldn't control what was going on in my life. I had to work on two projects for school until the last minute, I didn't know that I had an AP Psychology test today, and I was assigned more homework than I expected. It wasn't until one of my friends told me that it wasn't in my control of my test being scheduled today, that it hit me. I'm not in control of what happens to me, but I sure can control how I react.

So, I made the best of certain situations today. I took two tests that I didn't feel prepared for and accepted the fact that I'll have to change up my afternoon routine.

Having these experiences today allowed me to let go completely of attachments I was holding onto. I learned that I don't need to control everything outside of me in order to be happy, and that it's okay if it feels like my life is falling apart. When this happens, it gives me the opportunity to work on myself by allowing myself to completely be in the moment and let go of anything that isn't serving me.

Lastly, when I let go of these things that kept weighing me down, I allowed myself to receive new opportunities. One of these things was finding out that the AP Psychology test isn't going on this quarter's grade. If I had gone to the nurse and pretended to be sick during it, I would've missed this opportunity to not risk my grade from going down.

So, I'm glad that I managed to experience these events while maintaining good control of myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment